Salem Methodist Church
- A deed to Salem Methodist Church is recorded in Book "A," dated November 22, 1851, at the Quincy Courthouse. The first church, a one-room cabin, was built in the community of Salem, Florida, adjoining the Salem Cemetery. As it grew, a meeting house was built at the Salem crossroads.
- In 1905, Havana became a small settlement of six to eight families. The railroad had come through in 1903, and people considered moving the church to town. Under the leadership of Reverend G.S. Roberts, the present property was purchased, and the first brick and frame structure for Salem Methodist Church was erected in 1907.
- A large two-story frame parsonage was built in 1908. It had seven fireplaces, only one water faucet (in the kitchen), no inside bath and no hot water.
- The construction of our present church began in 1940. The first service in the new church was held on the first Sunday in 1941. It was dedicated by Bishop Arthur J. Moore on the first Sunday in January, 1942.
- In the later part of 1949, the two-story parsonage was torn down and the present brick structure was begun. It was completed in June, 1950.
- In 1952, the Concord and Hinson Methodist Churches came to join Salem's membership. In 1953, a new education wing was built.
- Between 1986 and 1991, the pastor's study, church library, and nursery were relocated and remodeled; restroom facilities were enlarged and made wheelchair-accessible, and the roof repaired.
- In 1998, the north entrance from the 1st Street parking lot into the Educational Wing was refurbished and dedicated in loving memory of Rosalie Sapp Moreland (member from 1910 to 1993).
- We celebrated our 150th anniversary in 2001.
The church family prays God will continue to bless the ministry and mission of Salem UMC as we move forward in faithfulness to Christ and love of neighbor.